Digital Proust Questionnaire #10: David Bredael
Emakina Group has rapidly grown in recent years, in part thanks to our managing directors leading the way. But who are these MDs, besides leaders in digital, creative and business growth? Let’s sneak a peak inside their heads with this new series: Emakina’s Digital Proust questionnaires!
The Proust Questionnaire has its origins in a parlour game popularised (though not devised) by Marcel Proust. The French essayist and novelist believed that, in answering these questions, an individual reveals his or her true nature. This is an adapted basic Proust Questionnaire for the digital age.
Our Digital Proust series continues, and this time Emakina.BE MD David Bredael reflects on what it’s all about (and the answer is not 42). This alumnus of ICHEC Brussels Management School and Solvay Brussels started his career at data & analytics company Bisnode. He joined Emakina in 2007 moving from strength to strength, from Account Manager and Team Leader to Sales Director, and now MD.
1. What is your idea of happiness?
A perfectly balanced triangle: Family/Friends/Work.
2. What is your greatest fear?
That my life triangle turns into a flat line.
3. Which historical figure do you most admire?
Isaac Newton. Probably one of the greatest scientist of all time.
When science meets glorious hairdo.
4. Which living person do you most admire?
Elon Musk – is the guy even human? Seriously, I sometimes wonder if he was sent form a future world to help speed up our evolution before it’s too late…
5. Who is your favourite writer?
Raymond Kurzweil. Kurzweil is one of the world’s leading inventors, thinkers, and futurists. He wrote ‘The Age of Spiritual Machines’ and ‘The Singularity Is Near’. His website, KurzweilAI.net, is also worth a look. It tracks daily breakthroughs in science and technology about accelerating intelligence.
6. Who is your favourite fictional character?
Lost the count of MDs who answered ‘Batman’ to this question…
7. What part of the digital media industry makes you happy?
Being part of the biggest revolution mankind has ever known.
8. What part of the digital media industry makes you unhappy?
Having to answer time after time the same question to my parents: “What do you actually do for a living?”
9. Who/what inspired you most in your career?
In 2006, Brice Le Blévennec gave a truly inspiring speech during the 1st Digital Marketing First event in Brussels. I pro-actively applied to join him in what was then still a small digital agency. I started at Emakina as a Junior Account Manager, and have not looked back since.
10. What do you consider your greatest achievement?
My wonderful family, together with my wife and our 4 daughters… I know… But be careful: I also have a shovel and plenty of alibis… 😉
– Heeeeeeere’s David! A father of four with a shovel and an alibi…
– Oh hi, Mister Managing Director sir. Let me fix that door for you (yet again).
11. What tech company do you wish you had started?
GAFA! and I’d take any of the 4 letters.
12. What digital project would you have most loved to be a part of?
Musical.ly, my daughters would’ve been so proud. They spent their life on it.
13. What is your favourite digital app/ tool?
14. What digital app/tool that does not exist would you would like to create?
An app/tool that would help bridge the ever-growing gap between the very few fortunate and vast majority left behind on this planet.
‘I like your communism-thingy app idea, but we need to improve the user experience A LOT!’
15. What is the trait you are most proud of in yourself?
16. What is the trait you most admire in others?
17. What is the trait you most dislike in others?
18. If you were to die and come back as a person or a thing, what would it be?
Definitely as a person… And I’d want to be able to do new things that are impossible for me to do in this lifetime, like carrying a baby and giving life.
Remember answer to question #10? Let me just put this right here… #PregnancyDreams
19. What is your most treasured possession, and why?
My past memories and future dreams.
20. What is your motto?